Wednesday, July 24, 2013

The Longest Week

Last week was possibly the longest and most emotionally stressful week I've ever had. My husband and I lost our 17 year old Maine Coon Thomas. He had been winding down all week. Usually a very social cat, he withdrew a little and lost interest in eating. We decided to let him expire in peace at home in the comfort of his own surroundings. That all changed on Thursday afternoon when his condition deteriorated rapidly. I suspect he only had a few hours left but we couldn't let his last hours be uncomfortable or painful so we took him to the vet to be euthanized. We stayed with him while the injection was administered and petted him and talked to him until he left us. That was really hard to watch but I hope it provided comfort to Thomas in his last moments in an unfamiliar place. We brought him home and buried him in the back yard. My husband made a beautiful memorial garden of his burial site.
I've had pets all my life and Thomas was hands down the most remarkable, superb pet I've ever had. He was everywhere I was; he followed me around like puppy. I even set up a chair next to me for him in my office so he could "work" with me. He'd come get me some mornings before I was ready to work. Crazy cat! He is greatly missed and while I suspect the pain will subside over time my memories of him will never fade. I hear his voice in the corners of my house and see him everywhere I look.

In memory of Thomas I present my new colorway...Ghost Meow.


2 comments:

  1. Oh I'm so sorry about your cat. He was gorgeous and looks like he was well loved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much. He was very much loved and gave us many happy memories and years.

    ReplyDelete